Friday, September 27, 2013

3D Materials and Lighting, Assignment 8





What a beautiful picture of a room...Oh wait! It's not real!  While I wish I could claim the modelling rights to this room I cannot.  The room itself was given to us fully (and beautifully) modeled, but with a plain grey material covering everything and zero light source.  So our assignment was to splash some color in there and make it shine!  We were tested on our skill using diffuse, specular, and bump maps for all our materials which control the color, shine, and push out of said materials.  The light source I used was a daylight light which pretty much just adds a sun at a specific point in the modelling realm.  The daylight light source is neat because you can tell it a location in the world and what year, month, day, hour, minute, and second it is and it will show you at what angle the sun was at there and then.  I also used a mental ray photometric skyportal that refracts the light in the room at a different angle, as if there were glass panes in the windows, which allowed for more light to enter the room.  For this render I set all the render settings to very high and to mental ray (mental ray gives very realistic lighting) which cause the render process itself to take about 12 hours.  It gave a little me cleaner finish than had I set it to normal render settings, but the 11 hour and 50 minute difference in render time did not make it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment